This is by no means an exhaustive list! I will continue to add to it and you are very welcome to suggest links to me if I’ve missed anything.
If you are reading from outside the UK why not send me resources from your country?
Do you feel suicidal or have urges to hurt yourself?
If so please call the Samaritans right away.
General Resources for those Bereaved By Suicide
- Survivors of Bereavement By Suicide
About their support groups – find one near you
- Sunflowers Suicide Support – a group for people living in Gloustershire, UK
- Leeds Suicide Bereavement Service
- Mind is running The Anchor Project, support groups for people across Norfolk
- Suicide Bereaved Network – run two London based support groups
- Cruise Bereavement Care
- NHS Booklet – Help is at Hand: Support After Someone May Have Died By Suicide
- Suicide Bereavement – also run conferences and conduct suicide bereavement research
- Support After Suicide
- Our Side of Suicide – two Chicago based woman who lost their fathers run an excellent site providing news, articles, and support.
- The Forgotten Survivors Project a student researched into survivors’ needs in UK
Want to check whether a movie has a suicide in before watching?
- 1000 Deaths has an extensive archive for movies up to the year 2000
- Modern day films can be checked on Wikipedia
Support for Children and Young People
- Winston’s Wish
- Hope Again (website for young adults run by Cruise – back in my day this used to be known as RD4U)
Blogs by Other Survivors
- Why Suicide Blog
Features a list of celebrities who have been bereaved in this way
- Cadi, who lost her partner Bob: https://cadi2014.wordpress.com/
- whatdaddydid.co.uk – a mother of two writes about losing her fiancee
For Parents Who’ve Lost a Child
- Losing a Child to Suicide – which has an online forum
- Child Suicide
- Walking the Mourner’s Path After a Child’s Suicide
and Susan’s book, I’ll Write Your Name on Every Beach
For Those Who’ve Lost a Sibling
- Sibling Survivors
- Book/FB Page, The Forgotten Mourners
- Poet & author Joanne Limburg wrote a book called Small Pieces about losing her brother, Julian
For Those Who’ve Lost a Parent
- Sebastian Slovin wrote Ashes in the Ocean about the loss of his father (during childhood)
How To Help Someone Grieving